OAA Official Communication: 2019 Canada Winter Games
The Canada Winter Games are approaching and the Team Selection Process has been progressing under the guidance of Coach, Richard Towler and Team Manager, Kelly Chambers.
The Canada Winter Games is a High-Performance opportunity for Ontario athletes to compete and test their abilities at a higher level of competition. With that opportunity, comes pre-defined selection criteria, requirements and minimum qualifying scores(MQS).
It has come to the attention of the OAA Board of Directors that there has been some misunderstanding regarding the 2019 Canada Winter Games Team Selection Process. The Team Selection Document was developed and posted November 2017 on the OAA Website and was shared to all clubs and on the OAAâ€™s Facebook Page at that time.
The Team Selection Process required the submission of 2 scores:
- The OAA Championships. Archers must hand in the scorecard to the first OAA Championship they shoot at, shooting several to get a better score is not permitted under OAA rules. Scores will be posted on the OAA website and should also be emailed to Kelly.
- A registered 60-arrow WA (FITA) indoor round at an Ontario club. Archers may shoot more than one registered tournament and, if so, the highest score earned will be accepted. As with the OAA Championship score, archers should email their results to Kelly.
These scores were required Â to be submitted to Kelly and/or Richard, and those whose average score of the two events equalled or exceed the Minimum Qualifying Scores (MQS) ofÂ Compound Women â€“ 530, Compound Men â€“ 530, Recurve Women â€“ 500, Recurve Men â€“ 500, would be invited to take part in Regional Training camps.
Due to the number of athletes who expressed interest in trying out for the team and who met the qualification procedure, it has been decided there is no need to host regional training camps as all those who met the qualification process will be invited directly to the Team Trials.
In fair and equitable play and due to the misunderstanding in the need to contact Kelly and/or Richard with scores from the Provincial Indoor Championships and an additional registered 60-arrow WA (FITA) event to qualify, we are asking that any athlete who meets the below criteria and who has not already submitted scores please email Kelly, Richard, OAA President and OAA VP Administration(contact emails below) their scores for consideration to the 2019 Canada Winter Games Team Trials.
- Have shot the OAA Championships (10-Ring)
- Have shot 1 additional registered 60-arrow WA (FITTA) indoor event
- Shot in the Recurve or Compound Division
- Born on or after January 1st, 1999
NOTE: Scores must be submitted no later then EOD (End of Day) Thursday, April 12thÂ 2018 and meet all above qualification requirements to be invited to the Team Trials.
The intent of this extended score submission timeline is to ensure that all those who meet the qualifying requirements have equal opportunity to attend the Team Trials Event and possible selection to the 2019 Canada Winter Games Team.
*Please note that invitations to the trials, to be held in Caledon at the beginning of May, will go out to the athleteâ€Ž, his/her coach and family mid-April once the final deadline of April 12th has passed and all possible qualifying candidates/athletes expression of interest meeting the MQS have been sent to Kelly and Richard.Â Thanking you in advance for your collaboration and ongoing support,